LAWD almighty, welcome to my southern roots. the south: where pecans reign supreme and sugar is the american dream! seriously though, if you've never had sugared pecans, you're not living life. make these. eat them. be fulfilled.
• 1 c brown sugar
• 1 tsp salt
• 1/2 tsp cinnamon
• 1/4 tsp allspice
• 1/4 tsp ground ginger
• 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
• 1 egg white
• 1 tbsp water
• 1 lb pecan halves
1. pre-heat oven to 250ºF. prepare a baking sheet with lightly greased parchment paper.
2. in a bowl, mix together brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ground ginger and cayenne pepper. set this sugar & spice mixture aside.
3. in a large bowl, beat egg white and water until soft peaks form then fold in the pecans. add the sugar & spice mixture and stir until all the pecans are well coated.
4. spread the pecans onto the prepared baking sheet in one even layer. bake at 250ºF for 1 hour, stirring every 15 min.
5. allow to cool completely then store in an airtight container. stored properly, they will last 30-40 days at room temp...if they last that long ;) TIP: spices can be adjusted to your taste. try other seasonings like your favorite spice rub or add cocoa powder for a delicious "hot chocolate" twist!
published 3/10/17 Cooking For Now