pasta e ceci (pasta and chickpeas)
this is a delicious & hearty, vegetarian one-pot meal, guaranteed to stick to your ribs and leave you satisfied ;) seriously. good. eats. viva l'Italia!
recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen.
• 2 oz vegetarian bacon, chopped (i used Sweet Earth’s hickory & sage 'benevolent bacon')
• 1 small carrot
• 1 stalk celery
• 4 cloves garlic
• 1 small onion
• 1/4 c. EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) + more for garnish
• 1-2 anchovy fillets, minced
• 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
• 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced
• 1/4 c dry white wine
• 1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes
• 2 (15 oz) cans chickpeas with their liquid
• 2-1/2 c water
• salt & pepper
• 8 oz. orzo pasta
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley + more for garnish
• 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese + more for garnish
1. place vegetarian bacon in a food processor and grind into a paste. cut all of the vegetables into bite-sized chunks and add to the food processor. pulse until everything is very finely diced. (use a knife and/or grater if you don’t have a food processor.)
2. place this mixture into a dutch oven or heavy pot with EVOO. cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 8-10 min or until everything is very soft and fond (brown bits of flavor goodness) forms on the bottom of the pot.
3. add anchovy, red pepper flakes and rosemary. cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
4. deglaze with white wine, scraping up all the brown tasty bits.
5. pour in the chickpeas & their liquid, diced tomatoes, water and 1 tsp salt. raise heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. reduce to a simmer and cook 10 min.
6. add orzo and cook, stirring frequently, for 10-12 min or until pasta is al dente.
7. remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, parsley and parmesan cheese. season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. serve, garnished with a small amount of EVOO, parmesan and fresh parsley to taste.
published 4/12/17 Cooking For Now