cheesy corn chowder
nothing beats perfectly cooked corn on the cob, especially in the summer time for those family BBQs <3 but if you're looking to change it up a bit (or trying to use up a massive amount of corn you have before it goes bad) this recipe is MONEY! enjoy :)
• 2 slices bacon, cut into pieces (we used Sweet Earth’s Benevolent Bacon <3)
• 1/4 c. (half stick) butter
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 small yukon gold potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
• 5 ears of corn, raw, cut off the cob
• 1 red bell pepper, chopped
• 1 poblano pepper, charred, peeled, seeded & chopped
• 1/2 tsp. chili powder
• 1/2 tsp. paprika
• 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
• 1 tsp. salt + more to taste
• 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper + more to taste
• 1/4 c. all-purpose flour
• 3 c. vegetable or chicken stock
• 1 large bay leaf
• 2 c. whole milk
• 1 c. grated pepper jack
• 2 c. grated sharp cheddar
• 2 scallions, thinly sliced
1. in a large pot cook the bacon until crispy and the fat has rendered. remove bacon. once cooled you can crumble and set aside till later.
2. add butter to the pot and melt over medium heat. add the onion and potato and cook 3 min.
3. add the corn, bell pepper, poblano pepper and reserved bacon. season with chili powder, paprika, dried oregano, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground black pepper. cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 min.
4. sprinkle in the flour and stir well to combine. add the bay leaf and pour in the stock. cook 5 min until thickened. reduce the heat to low, stir in the milk, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 min or until the potato is cooked all the way through.
5. remove from the heat and stir in the cheeses and green onions. season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
published 8/26/17 Cooking For Now